How an active duty Army officer is advancing his career in the Jenkins MBA program

By Christine Ferrell

Captain Luke High, U.S. Army, Jenkins MBA candidate, class of 2016

Previous Assignment:  3rd Brigade Combat Team, 82nd Airborne Division, Fort Bragg, NC

Current Assignment:  United States Army Student Detachment, Fort Jackson, SC

“My Army career goal is to be the best leader I can to the sons and daughters of America, making a positive impact on as many of them as I can … What I hope to gain and strengthen in the program are the people skills and relationship skills to keep helping people to the best of my ability.”

Capt. Luke High joined the U.S. Army in 2007 after graduating from Ohio University, where he also graduated from Army ROTC. As he planned his active-duty career, Luke, a logistics officer, wanted to build on the skills and training he had received during seven years in service.

Luke chose the NC State Jenkins MBA program because it would allow him to stay close to family, allowing his wife to keep her job. The benefits he receives as an active-duty Army officer are enabling him to continue his education and advance his career.

Even after just his first semester, Luke said he found ways apply his military experience in Supply Chain coursework. But he also found a new area of interest in the Jenkins MBA’s Marketing Management concentration.

“I have an interest in relationship management, consumer behavior, product and commodity management,” Luke said. “The skills taught in these courses can be applied virtually anywhere in the workplace,” Luke said. “As an Army logistician, I work directly with people in the supply chain, from suppliers to warehousers, distributors and end users.”

Luke said the skills he’ll gain in the Marketing Management concentration will help him develop and enrich those relationships.

After graduation, Luke has a job lined up that will allow him to pass on those skills for years to come. “Upon completion of the MBA program, I will be assigned to the United States Military Academy at West Point, N.Y. where I will teach Leadership,” he said.

As he continues to serve his country, Luke will carry with him the leadership and career skills he’s gained in the NC State Jenkins MBA program.

Q:  What are you most excited about, when you look at the work you’ll be doing in upcoming semesters?

A:  The number-one experience I am looking forward to is a study abroad opportunity in London during spring break. This experience is a 3-credit-hour Marketing concentration course and will give me a rare opportunity to travel abroad for something that’s not Army-related. This is an opportunity I could not pass up.

Q:  Not only are you an Army officer, you’re also a husband. How is your MBA experience having an impact on your family?

A:  Well, my wife pretty much holds down the fort when I’m not home, and she’s really good at it – and has to be, with my profession.  … For me, grad school is an excellent break from work. It’s a time for me to learn, and to be with my family, that I did not get before.  While I am here, I am going to get the most family time out that I can.

Q:  Looking long-term, what is your Army career goal?  How will the Jenkins MBA help you achieve it?

A:  My Army career goal is to be the best leader I can to the sons and daughters of America, making a positive impact on as many people as I can. And if it’s just one, well, then I know I’ve done my job.  It’s the best feeling in the world when one of the people, or soldiers, you have helped in the past lets you know how grateful they are for what you did for them. What I hope to gain and strengthen in the program are the people skills and relationship skills to keep helping people to the best of my ability.