Poole Faculty and Staff Share What They’re Thankful For

Research shows that expressing gratitude is one of the simplest ways to feel happier. We asked faculty and staff in the Poole College of Management to pause and share what they are thankful for –– in one sentence. Below are the responses we received.

What We’re Thankful For

“I am thankful for my family, friends and our fur babies, Rey and Goose, who have quickly become best friends since we adopted Goose in July,” said Carson Powell, marketing and communications manager.

“I’m thankful for the health and well-being of myself and my family and the opportunity to work with terrific colleagues at NC State and the Poole College of Management,” said Brian Newton, director of the Poole Career Center. 

“I am thankful for family and friends,” said Joseph Brazel, professor of accounting. 

“I am thankful for collaborative co-workers and dedicated students,” said Jessica Moran, online program coordinator for the Jenkins MAC Program. 

“I am thankful for good friends, loving family and the promise of spring,” said Eileen Taylor, professor of accounting. 

“I’m thankful for the awesome Market and Communications and Jenkins MBA teams,” said Morgan Holcomb, assistant director of marketing for the Jenkins MBA Program. 

“I’m so thankful that I get to work such a wonderful, dedicated and generous group of people in Poole College,” said Leigh Shamblin, director of leadership and professor of practice. 

“I am thankful for my family, life, health and strength” said Deborah Wilkins, assistant director of academic advising and student affairs. 

“I am thankful for a healthy and loving family,” Maggie Merry, assistant dean of finance and administration. 

“I am thankful for my family,” said Jessie Burke, administrative support associate. 

“I am grateful for a loving family and a workplace that supports me spending time with them,” said Bill Rand, associate professor of marketing and executive director of the Business Analytics Initiative. 

“I am thankful for health, family, friends and amazing colleagues, who are also like family,” said Megan Van Hook, academic advisor. 

“I’m thankful that 2020 brought me my son Ivan and for all of the support I received at Poole for making my life as a working mom enjoyable,” said Maria Potepalova, associate director of integrated communications.

“I am thankful for my job, one that is conducive to remote work, especially in 2020,” said Ayo Agunbiade, senior academic advisor. 

“I am so thankful to have a happy and healthy family,” said Jenny Hammond, chief marketing and communications officer. 

“I am thankful Linda and I added Magnus, our rescue dog, to our family,” said Steve Allen, interim associate dean of academic programs and professor of economics.

“I am thankful for all of the wonderful people I get to work with,” said Richard Warr, associate dean for faculty and research.

“Health, the ability to work from home and the supportive people in my life are what I am thankful for.” – Anonymous

“I’m thankful for the opportunity to influence and support the lives of our future both at home and at work,” said Brian Clark, external director of development and external relations. 

“I am thankful to work beside amazing colleagues that impact students everyday,” said Jennifer McLamb, assistant director for academic advising.

“I am thankful for a creative, resilient and supportive group of people that I work with. This year has been a year of challenges and I am so appreciative to have faced it with the MBA team as well as so many others across Poole,” said Nichole Miller, assistant dean of Jenkins MBA programs. 

“I am thankful for the lessons that 2020 taught me that will endure even when the trials of 2020 have passed,” said Tayah Butler, director of diversity and inclusion.

“I am thankful for the opportunity to work at NC State and to be closer to my family on the coast,” said Michael Dixon, associate director of admissions and recruitment. 

“I’m thankful for the support of my immediate family and colleagues at work who have made working from home possible during this pandemic,” said Vilma Mueller, assistant director of advising and student affairs. 

“I am thankful to work with people who understand the struggle for balance while working with a house full of virtual schoolkids,” said Beth Shepherd, director of instructional design. 

“I am thankful for getting to marry my best friend literally one day before the world shutdown due to COVID-19 in March. This year has been wild but I am thankful for my husband, my family and my faith. The Lord has surely blessed us even in the midst of coronavirus,” said Kara Rodriguez, social media specialist. 

“I am thankful for the focus and commitment of our community to make the best of a challenging year,” Frank Buckless, Stephen P. Zelnak Jr. Dean. 

“I am so thankful that I have a network of family and friends to steady me when I’m rocky.” – Anonymous

This post was originally published in Poole College of Management News.