Poole College of Management Welcomes the Class of 2021-22

Talley Student Union

After over a year away from Nelson Hall, Poole College of Management is looking forward to seeing the incoming class of 2021-22 as well as returning students on August 16. 

“I am very excited to see our returning students and welcome our new students to Poole College over the next few weeks,” said Stephen P. Zelnak Jr. Dean Frank Buckless. “The energy of a new academic year is always invigorating to our faculty and staff. My hope is that each of our students soak up every opportunity in and outside the classroom experience while they are here. We have some of the brightest students on this campus and I look forward to seeing all that they will contribute to our college community.”

By the Numbers

• Incoming freshmen come from 21 states; external transfer students — from 15 states.
  • 51% of transfering students come from North Carolina community colleges.
  • Countries include India, Switzerland, Peru, China, India, Kuwait, South Korea, Nepal.
  • Average SAT: 1,288.
  • Average ACT: 29.
  • Average weighted GPA: 4.3.
  • 53% of students enrolled in online MBA, 27% —  in full-time MBA and 20% — in part-time MBA.
  • Full-time MBA class is 42% female and 35% of part-time students are underrepresented minorities.
  • Full-time students average 5 years of work experience, part-time students — 9.1 years of work experience and online students — 8.3 years of work experience.
  • 77% of MAC students enrolled in an on-campus program, 23% — in the online program.
  • 15% of students identify as African American.
  • Students come from 68 different undergraduate institutions.
  • 48% of students were NC State undergraduates.
  • Average 7 years of work experience.
  • 3 students hold master’s degrees.
  • 40% have education backgrounds outside of business and marketing.
  • 45% are female, 55% — male.
  • Ph.D.: 16, countries represented: US, China, India, Bangladesh, Nepal, Ghana, Nigeria, Kazakhstan and Turkey
  • Master’s: 16, countries represented: US, China, Korea, India, UK, and Saudi Arabia

Meet Our Students

Brian Bullock, Jenkins MBA student

Brian Bullock, Jenkins MBA Program

Brian Bullock joins Poole College of Management Jenkins MBA Program with a concentration in financial management and graduate assistant position with the MBA admissions providing research assistance for recruitment. 

“I had the privilege of being on campus because of a sibling who graduated in 2019 and I fell in love with the NC State culture,” said Bullock. “I also liked how the school takes pride in their MBA students receiving jobs and not just graduating. It made me feel as though the staff really cared for their students.”

Bullock comes to NC State from North Carolina Central University where he was a chancellor scholar and the class of 2021 valedictorian who received the University Honor Award for maintaining a 4.0 GPA. 

“I am looking forward to the data analysis classes this semester,” said Bullock. “I love making strategic choices based on inferences in data and am looking to improve my skills. I am also excited for the consulting practicum I plan on taking later on in the year.”

Athena Wang, sophomore in accounting

Athena Wang, sophomore, accounting

When I formally transferred into Poole, I felt welcomed by the advisors and the accounting department, despite everything being virtual. Everyone here wants to help you succeed.

Athena Wang is a Change of Degree Application (CODA) student coming to Poole from the NC State College of Education. Wang was able to take her first accounting course over the summer and is excited to pursue her new career path.

“Poole has so much to offer its students,” said Wang. “When I formally transferred into Poole, I felt welcomed by the advisors and the accounting department, despite everything being virtual. Everyone here wants to help you succeed.”

Wang is a member of the Chinese Undergraduate Student Association (CUSA), a cultural student organization that promotes Chinese culture throughout the university as well as the local community. She also has plans to study abroad during her time at NC State. 

Cole Callahan, Master of Management in Marketing Analytics student
Callahan is one of 20 students in the first MMA class at Poole

Cole Callahan, Master of Management, Marketing Analytics

A member of the inaugural class of the MMA, Cole Callahan found Poole College through his coworkers at Webex who are NC State graduates who raved about their academic experience. Callahan, originally from Indiana, hopes to deepen his roots in the Triangle through the connections made in the MMA Program. 

“Big data can transform the world,” said Callahan. “I hope to use the knowledge I absorb to tell better stories with our current data but also how to structure our data gathering in a way that’s most useful.”

Callahan currently works at Cisco Webex full-time as the Webex community and content manager who oversees an online community of over 100,000 different users from nearly 200 countries. He is a graduate of Ball State University with a bachelor’s degree in telecommunications and marketing. 

Mary Elizabeth Pearce, first-year management
Pearce follows in the footsteps of her brothers who were both Poole students

Mary Elizabeth Pearce comes from a family of Poole College students with both older brothers having graduated from the college. Pearce will be a freshman at NC State coming from Sanderson High School in Raleigh, NC. 

“I am excited to meet other people that share similar interests as me and learn where I fit in within NC State and Poole College,” said Pearce.

Pearce hopes to major in accounting and is looking forward to her Poole classes as well as her aerobic and body conditioning classes at Carmichael Gym. 

Juan Vigoya, Jenkins MAC student
Vigoya joins Poole from Guildford College

Juan Vigoya, Jenkins MAC Program

Juan Vigoya was attracted to the top-notch professors, resources, alumni, connections and academic environment offered through the Jenkins MAC Program at Poole. He joins NC State after receiving a Bachelor of Science in computer technology and information systems from Guilford College.

“After researching the Poole College, I realized NC State would be an incredible option to continue growing my academic career and help propel my professional career,” said Vigoya.

Vigoya will also be serving as a graduate teaching assistant and is looking forward to joining Beta Alpha Psi, boxing club, intramural flag football. He hopes to become a tax associate for a public accounting firm following graduation.

Ben Tewey, first-year management

Ben Tewey, first-year management

Ben Tewey chose Poole College for the opportunity to collaborate with his peers and connect with the extensive alumni network. Tewey enters as a first-year management student with involvement experience as the president of his school’s OneLove Club where he worked to educate the student body on healthy and unhealthy relationships as well as serving on the board for the Investment Society. 

I chose Poole due to its strong alumni network, distinct focus on career preparation through internships and co-op programs and emphasis on learning by doing.

“I chose Poole due to its strong alumni network, distinct focus on career preparation through internships and co-op programs and emphasis on learning by doing,” said Tewey. “I first heard of Poole after reading Dr. Richard Warr’s paper titled “What Drives the S&P 500 Inclusion Effect? An Analytical Survey” and immediately knew this was the place for me.”

Tewey is a member of the University Scholars Program and hopes to join Bell Tower Capital Management and the Investors’ Association as well as engage in some friendly competition in intramural Spikeball.

Jenny McClamroch, Jenkins MAC Online student
McClamroch with her husband and three kids

Jenny McClamroch, Jenkins MAC Online Program

Jenny McClamroch is entering the Jenkins Master of Accounting (MAC) Program and transitioning back to work after 10 years of being a full-time mom to three young kids. McClamroch was drawn to Poole College for the distance education options offered to graduate students, especially those with busy schedules.

McClamroch previously earned a Bachelor of Arts in education and is looking forward to being back in the classroom from her home in Fuquay-Varina, North Carolina.

This post was originally published in Poole College of Management News.