Professional Career Management
The Poole College of Management Center (CMC) understands that the career management needs for working professionals are unique and varied. Our flexible and customizable format meets students where they are.
Most Professional MBA students are aiming for a trajectory change through upward growth, lateral transition, or a new venture. We promise to educate, prepare, and walk with you on your career journey.
Professional MBA students typically have career needs in one of four areas, and the CMC can provide support and guidance:
- Career Accelerators: The career goal of many Jenkins MBA students is to accelerate their climb through the corporate ranks of their current employers. The MBA provides the credibility, business acumen, and leadership skills needed to accelerate within the organization.
- Career Changers: Some students leverage the MBA to change careers. The MBA program teaches business skills and offers practical experiences and exposure to other industries to help facilitate change.
- Career Explorers: While career changers usually have a career plan, career explorers may not have an idea. These students use their MBA experience to explore other career options available to them, given newly-acquired business skills and expertise.
- Entrepreneurs: An MBA offers exposure to a wide range of issues that may make students better equipped to run a business. The Jenkins MBA Entrepreneurship and Technology Commercialization concentration (Area of Emphasis for Professional MBA students) is an excellent course of study to meet this need.
Working Professional students who wish to make an external career transition should take advantage of the CMC’s numerous resources and event opportunities such as:
- Online Job Postings
- Resume Database for Recruiters
- On-Campus Recruiting
- National diversity conferences and North Carolina State University-hosted career fairs.
- Jenkins MBA-sponsored local events
The CMC also maintains a library of high-quality virtual materials covering management guidance, tools, and videos that are regularly updated. Jenkins MBA students have 24/7 access to interactive career building and advancement tools.
The CMC provides MBA students with individualized support through our scheduled 1:1 meetings and office hours. During these sessions, students have the opportunity to ask questions about personal branding, interview preparation, salary negotiations, and more.
Webinars & Learning Labs
The CMC’s virtual webinars and face-to-face learning lab workshops provide professional students with the tools and insights to improve their resume, approach to networking, and interviews. Webinars are typically in the evenings and learning labs during Saturday mornings and afternoons.