The rules below apply to the NC State Grand Business Challenge. All registered team members are expected to abide by these rules.
Registration: Schools and Teams
- Schools must be registered through the NC State Grand Business Challenge website by Monday, August 7, 2017, at 11:59PM EST.
- Teams must be finalized and information for individual participants must be submitted through the NC State Grand Business Challenge website by Wednesday, September 20, 2017, at 11:59PM EST.
- Each school will be represented by a team of four full-time MBA students.
- In the event a team member is unable to participate, the team must register an alternate full-time MBA student via email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Teams that are staying at Wolf Ridge Apartments can check-in at the front desk of the Wolf Ridge Apartments between 3:00pm EST Wednesday, November 2nd and 9:00AM EST Thursday, November 3rd.
- ALL teams must pick up the case competition registration packet at Wolf Ridge Apartments. Teams that are staying at Wolf Ridge can pick it up upon checking in for lodging. Teams that are not staying at Wolf Ridge (which may be the case for local teams) must have at least one team member come to Wolf Ridge to pick it up by 9:00PM on Wednesday, November 2nd .
- Prior to the opening reception, teams must register for the competition between 10:00-11:00AM EST on Thursday, November 3rd at the entrance of Room 220 in Park Alumni Center on Centennial Campus.
- Teams will be able to work in various spaces across Centennial Campus.
- Dress is business professional for all presenters in all rounds of competition.
- All teams are required to attend the Grand Challenge presentations and the Awards Reception on Saturday afternoon.
- Each team will submit a unique team name when registering online. The teams are required to display their team name on the title slide of their presentation. School colors, mascots, logos, and any other school reference should not be included in the team name or presentation materials. This includes PowerPoint slides, posters, clothing, documents, or verbal cues. All school affiliations must remain anonymous until the Awards Reception on Saturday, November 5th. School colors are allowed during the Awards Reception.
- One month prior to the NC State Grand Business Challenge, the first case (the Foundational Challenge) will be distributed to participating teams from Merck, along with a series of questions and other supporting documents to prepare for the first presentation on Thursday, November 2, 2017.
- All team presentations must be submitted in digital format. Instructions for submission will be provided on October 2, 2017.
Presentation Logistics for Thursday and Friday
- Each team will be assigned to one of three presentation groups.
- Teams will present their solutions for the Foundational Challenge to judges on November 2nd. The second case (the Succession Challenge) will be given to teams at the conclusion of the Foundational Challenge.
- On November 3rd, teams will present their solutions for the Succession Challenge to judges in their assigned presentation group.
- Timing is a component of the judging criteria. Teams will be given a maximum of 30 minutes; 20 minutes allocated for the presentation and 10 minutes allocated for Q&A. A timekeeper will inform teams of their elapsed time.
- Questions from the judges may be directed at specific individuals or to the team as a whole. Every team member is expected to participate during the presentation as well as the Q&A.
- Teams should not discuss their case presentation or case content with other teams until all teams have presented.
Selection to the Final Round
- On Friday, November 3rd, one team from each of the presentation groups will be selected to participate in the final challenge (the Grand Challenge). Selection of the top three teams will be based on the team’s overall performance in the Foundational and Succession Challenges.
- One team from each of the three presentation groups will be nominated as a runner-up based on overall performance in the Foundational and Succession Challenges. The results will be announced at the Awards Reception on Saturday, November 4th.
- The three final teams will compete in the Grand Challenge and the remaining seven teams will compete in the Storyboard Challenge on Saturday, November 4th.
- Team deliverables for the Grand and Storyboard Challenges will be given out during the dinner on Friday, November 3rd.
Presentation Logistics for Saturday
The Storyboard Challenge
- Seven teams will present to a panel of rotating judges between 9:30AM – 10:15AM EST. All Storyboard Challenge participants will then attend the Grand Business Challenge presentations.
- Winners of the Storyboard Challenge will be announced at the Awards Reception.
The Grand Business Challenge
- The top three teams will present to a panel of new judges starting at 10:30AM EST. The audience will consist of Storyboard Challenge participants and others involved in the NC State Grand Business Challenge.
- Timing is a component of the judging criteria. Teams will have maximum of 30 minutes; 20 minutes allocated for the presentation and 10 minutes allocated for Q&A.
- Winners of the Grand Business Challenge will be announced at the Awards Reception.
- The Foundational and Succession Challenges will be evaluated by 15 judges consisting of Merck and other industry executives. The top three teams will be selected to the Grand Business Challenge by these 15 judges.
- The seven teams in the Storyboard Challenge will be evaluated by the same 15 judges that participated in the Foundational and Succession Challenges.
- The Grand Business Challenge will be evaluated by four new judges.