The following rules below apply to the NC State Grand Business Challenge. All registered team members are expected to abide by these rules.
Registration: Schools and Teams
- Schools must be registered through the NC State Grand Business Challenge website by Monday, August 7, 2017, at 11:59PM EST.
- Teams must be finalized and information for individual participants must be submitted through the NC State Grand Business Challenge website by Wednesday, September 20, 2017, at 11:59PM EST.
- The Foundational Challenge will be sent out Monday, October 2, 2017.
- Each school will be represented by a team of four full-time MBA students.
- In the event a team member is unable to participate, the team must register an alternate full-time MBA student via email to email@example.com.
- Teams that are staying at the StateView Hotel can check-in at the front desk between 3:00pm EST Wednesday, November 1st and 9:00AM EST Thursday, November 2nd.
- ALL teams must pick up the case competition registration packet at the StateView Hotel. Teams that are staying at the StateView Hotel can pick it up upon checking in for lodging. Teams that are not staying at the StateView Hotel (which may be the case for local teams) must have at least one team member come to the hotel to pick it up by 9:00PM on Wednesday, November 1st.
- Teams must check-in at the Park Alumni Center between 10:00-11:00am EST on Thursday, November 2nd.
- Teams will be able to work in various spaces across Centennial Campus.
- Dress is business professional for all presenters in all rounds of competition.
- All teams are required to attend the Final Presentations and the Awards Reception on Saturday afternoon.
- Each team will submit a unique team name when registering online. The teams are required to display their team name on the title slide of their presentation. School colors, mascots, logos, and any other school reference should not be included in the team name or presentation materials. This includes PowerPoint slides, posters, clothing, documents, or verbal cues. All school affiliations must remain anonymous until the Awards Reception on Saturday, November 4th. School colors are allowed during the Awards Reception.
- Prior to the NC State Grand Business Challenge, the first case (the Foundational Challenge) will be distributed to participating teams from Merck, along with a series of questions and other supporting documents to prepare for the first presentation on Thursday, November 2, 2017.
- All team presentations must be submitted in digital format. Instructions for submission will be provided on October 2, 2017.
Presentation Logistics for Thursday and Friday
- Each team will be randomly assigned to a presentation group.
- Teams will present their solutions for the Foundational Challenge to judges on November 2nd. The second case (the Succession Challenge) will be given to teams at the conclusion of the Foundational Challenge.
- On November 3rd, teams will present their solutions for the Succession Challenge to judges in their assigned presentation group.
- Timing is a component of the judging criteria. Teams will be given a maximum of 30 minutes; 20 minutes allocated for the presentation and 10 minutes allocated for Q&A. A timekeeper will inform teams of their elapsed time.
- Questions from the judges may be directed at specific individuals or to the team as a whole. Every team member is expected to participate during the presentation as well as the Q&A.
- Teams should not discuss their case presentation or case content with other teams until all teams have presented.
Selection to the Final Round
- On Friday, November 3rd, one team from each of the presentation groups will be selected to participate in the final challenge (the Grand Challenge). Selection of the top three teams will be based on the team’s overall performance in the Foundational and Succession Challenges.
- The final teams, along with a chosen assisting team, will compete in the Grand Challenge; the remaining four teams will compete in the Storyboard Challenge on Saturday, November 4th.
- Team deliverables for the Grand and Storyboard Challenges will be given out during the dinner on Friday, November 3rd.
Presentation Logistics for Saturday
The Storyboard Challenge
- Teams will present to a panel of rotating judges on Saturday morning. All Storyboard Challenge participants will then attend the Grand Business Challenge final presentations.
- Winners of the Storyboard Challenge will be announced at the Awards Reception.
The Grand Business Challenge
- The final teams will present to a panel of new judges on Saturday morning and immediately following the conclusion of the Storyboard Challenge. The audience will consist of Storyboard Challenge participants and others involved in the NC State Grand Business Challenge.
- Timing is a component of the judging criteria. Teams will have maximum of 40 minutes; 30 minutes allocated for the presentation and 10 minutes allocated for Q&A.
- Winners of the Grand Business Challenge will be announced at the Awards Reception.
- The Foundational and Succession Challenges will be evaluated by 16 judges consisting of Merck and other industry executives. The final teams will be selected to the Grand Business Challenge by these 16 judges.
- The teams in the Storyboard Challenge will be evaluated by the same 16 judges that participated in the Foundational and Succession Challenges.
- The Grand Business Challenge will be evaluated by four new judges.